Sunday, July 28, 2013

In which the mystery deepens....

We're still not exactly sure what's going on....

Our mystery girl is currently in the hospital. They really don't know what's happened to her, but she's still in and out of consciousness and not able to tell us much of anything. Maddy has said that we'll take responsibility for her if they can't locate her person. We went to see her today, but there's not much to do. They'll call us if anything changes.

Then...

I didn't realize it had rained while we were in the hospital, and by the time I realized how wet the pavement was, the hem of my dress had gotten soaked. Maddy said to change when we got home and she'd wash it. While I was doing that....

"Hey Caroline, there's someone here to see you. He said his name was John..."

Terrific. Why does opportunity always have to knock when you're not really dressed for the occasion?









Good thing this Hitty can rock the underwear-as-outerwear look.....

Anyway, like I said, his name is (freaking pinch me here) John Ashton Smith. He's a paranormal investigator from up near Arkham, MA. Maddy and I thought he was here because of our mystery girl, but he's actually looking for a his friend and colleague Richard, who vanished while investigating a lead about some goings-on at a place called Chester's Farm. This area was apparently Rich's last known location.


 "I'm really worried about him. Chester's Farm has been under investigation for quite some time. It's supposed to be a breeding operation for a better kind of beef cow, but there have been all kinds of strange stories about genetic engineering and who knows what all. I'm afraid these people may be dangerous - and they may have Richard."

"I've never heard of it," Maddy said, looking puzzled. "Of course, it may be out of the watershed area we worked in back at my old job."

"They wouldn't have been involved with anything like that," John said. "They wouldn't want anyone coming on-site to see things."

"Where is this place?" I said.

"I'm not sure. That's the other problem. The address that was given to us turned out to be a dead-end road up near Amenia," John said. "From some of what Rich said and the locations of some photos he sent me, I think he was down in this area when he vanished."

"Well, you can certainly stay here while you;re looking for him," I said,

"That's very kind of you, Miss, uh---"

"Caroline. Call me Caroline." I knew Maddy wouldn't mind.



Maddy, in fact, told him about our mystery girl and he was intrigued. He asked me to take him out to where we'd found her. Not that there were a lot of clues to go on.

"I have no idea if this is related or not," he said. "Could I come with you when you go to see her again?"

"Of course," I said.

"Do you know anything about Shel's previous person?"

"No, just that he has an abusive ex-boyfriend there and it was somewhere down in lower Manhattan, He said they were down where Sandy hit so bad."

John looked thoughtful. "I think I need to talk to him next."

Something had just occurred to me. "Richard's not your boyfriend, is he?"

John laughed. "Oh heavens no. We've just known each other for years."

Okay, whew.....




So anyway, he's cute, single, as it turns out, has a British accent and he's going to hang around for at least awhile.

I could get to like this....










*Maddy's note - and here I thought it was hard making clothes for John-John and Shel. Man, I had no idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment