Friday, August 16, 2013

In which John Ashton Smith reflects on his new life....

I must admit that this isn't what I expected....

From the moment I was made, I was rather the odd doll out, I suppose. My sister and I were meant to be toddlers, children to a larger doll my creator, Mrs. Bishop, had made. However, by the time we were finished, it was obvious that we weren't small children. (What I am, I'm still sometimes not certain...) She simply didn't know what to do with us. She ended up selling us to Dr. Armitage, who originally intended to give us to his young daughter, but his wife quickly put paid to that idea. Not knowing what else to do, he trained us as paranormal investigators. That way, at least, we were assured of room and board, as well as an education (for which I am immensely grateful.) I did (and still do) enjoy the investigative work, but I will admit it got rather lonely at times. At times I wished I had a home like some of the other dolls I met, but none of them were remotely like me - either smaller or much larger or wood or vinyl or - something. I thought that Percy, Rich and I must be the only ones of our kind....


Until I was sent here, that is.

I'd first heard of Hitty dolls when my maker contacted Dr. Armitage, frantic with worry about a "magical tree-worshipping cult" revolving around the original Hitty herself, who now resides in Stockbridge, MA. I really can't fathom what she was thinking - perhaps she had heard of the original Hitty's being carved from rowan (also known as mountain ash) wood, known for its magickal properties, as well as references to fans of Hitty and her autobiography as a "cult phenomenon." I was a bit surprised to find that Hitty and her various descendants were in fact around my size, although mostly made of wood. However, it wasn't until I met the lovely Caroline that I got to know any of them personally. I must say I'm quite in awe of these ladies. I've found them all (and Caroline in particular) to be quick-witted, resourceful and quite steady in a crisis.

I also realized that she was the love of my life.

 Fortunately, Caroline's person Maddy approved, as did the other dolls who share her home. I'm not exactly sure what Shel and his finace John-John were thinking when they gave us this, but it's perfect for the little Cthulhu that Maddy gave us.











According to Caroline, I even have an eye for selecting dress fabrics. I must admit her color preferences make it rather easy. The lady at the Village Fabric Shop thought her quite lovely, by the way.

I really must agree.....

1 comment: