Sunday, October 20, 2013

In which I do some interior decorating....

Hey, I'm at 100 posts already! Apparently I talk a LOT....

Anyway, Maddy and I did some major work on my bookcase apartment this weekend. She moved the terrarium down a shelf so I could have the second shelf for my living room and we put the back panels up. This way I have a solid wall in the back. The sides we're leaving open. Maddy said she would love to have a place with almost floor-to-ceiling windows - provided they had one-way glass, that is.


 Here's the top floor. I'm not going to show you the second floor yet because I don't have any actual living room furniture except for one small bookcase. (A bookcase within a bookcase? Existentialistic...or really Twilight Zone.) The back panel is made from foamcore board, cut to fit and attached with stick-on Velcro tabs. The wallpaper is scrapbooking paper. We had ideas about making different panels for the back so we could swap them out, but after all the "fun" we had getting these up, I don't know if I really want to go through all that again - at least, not right now. Ask us in six months, maybe.....


The little china cats are from Barb Spencer's Enchanted Attic. At the time I think she had two sets. She always has cool stuff, though. The pewter mouse and bird came from a little shop in Rhinebeck and the ship is from a box of Red Rose tea. The little dresser is from eBay. It isn't pink, but it goes, and I like the style. And, because Maddy isn't the only green thumb in the house, I have a Rocky Mountain Eyeris from Norm's Dollhouse. (Yes, there should be a link under "Fun Sites," too, but Blogger seems to be playing hide-the-links, which looks really dirty now that I've typed it out.)


The three little wooden birds were an Etsy find - all the way from Hungaria.

Wait. Is that right?

Maddy: Hungary, not Hungaria....

Now if I could just find some Hungarian lanterns to go with them...okay, yeah, I've been listening to Maddy's Leonard Cohen CDs again.




The clothes rack was an eBay find, too. It was made by a woman named Betty Lubbert. It came with several dresses, but I gave one to Emmaline and the other two to Val. The Quaker dress and witch costume we're saving and I think the last one originally belonged to one of Judy Brown's "Collectable Concepts" Hittys. It's a copy of ancestor Hitty's pink dancing dress from her Van Rennesseler years. (I know that's probably misspelled, but Firefox wants to correct it to "Serendipitous." Not helpful.) It seems kind of fragile, so I put it up. I just have the ones I wear the most out, along with my umbrella, my winter shawl and matching cloche. That little reindeer pompom thingy is from a kit we found at Joann's for fifty cents. The little beaded basket is from the gift shop at Adams' Fairacre Farms in Poughkeepsie and the little piece of amethyst geode was on Maddy's computer desk. The framed photo is of our ancestor Hitty. I need to print out a couple of pictures I have of me and my fella and frame them, too. (He hasn't technically moved in with me yet, but yes, the expansion is with that in mind.)

Still a lot to do, but it's getting there....

No comments:

Post a Comment